Add rule to limit / set maximum number of meetings of a type per week (please)

• 17 October 2023
  • 55 replies

Show first post

55 replies

Userlevel 1

Upvoting. @Kelsi at Calendly do users get any visibility into the product roadmap? Some teams make roadmaps and prioritization open. My concern is this seems to be a needed consumer feature that may get deprioritized relative to B2B features.

And frankly if it can’t be fixed I can’t use Calendly. Wondering if your integrations with Zapier or other automation tools can solve for this

Userlevel 1

I’d love to see this feature. I want to be able to have an availability on meeting type. EG 2 of a type of meeting a month. 

Userlevel 1

I agree with others on this thread, setting weekly limits for ALL Calendly events (rather than limits per type of event) under a specific user is desperately needed. I use Calendly with multiple event types and lengths, but overall I want to limit the number of TOTAL events across all types per week. This could be something in the form of “no more than X hours per week of events” or “no more than X amount of total events booked”.

Without this functionality Calendly fails to truly be a one-stop shop for calendar and meeting management. Working around this lack of functionality is nearly impossible and I may need to look for another tool if this isn’t resolved soon.

Userlevel 3

Hey all, thank you for piling onto this thread with your use cases and the emphasis on weekly limits over others. The PM & UX team here at Calendly will be taking this into roadmap planning within the next few weeks. It’s clear from this thread and some other customer research that weekly is the most important time interval, and then daily.

• Is there a need for custom hours and other time intervals?
  • What’s more important: a limit at the global level (apply to all event types) or a limit at a specific event type level?
Userlevel 7

Hey all, thank you for piling onto this thread with your use cases and the emphasis on weekly limits over others. The PM & UX team here at Calendly will be taking this into roadmap planning within the next few weeks. It’s clear from this thread and some other customer research that weekly is the most important time interval, and then daily.

• What’s more important: a limit at the global level (apply to all event types) or a limit at a specific event type level?

@Yeong and others - just wanted to bring visibility to Steve’s post, here! =) 

Userlevel 1

A limit on event type. 

Userlevel 7

A limit on event type. 

Hi again, Kieran! Thanks so much for this additional feedback. Do you mind elaborating just a bit more so that our product team and take what you (the customers posting on this topic) are hoping to see and then implement feature updates? 👀

Based on your first comment, it seems that you are hoping for weekly and/or monthly limitations so that you can, for example, limit a specific event type to two meetings a month. Could this be done, in theory, with a weekly limitation per event type - so that you can limit one week to one meeting, skip a week, and limit the next week to one meeting - and so on? 🤔

Thanks so much for working with us here so that we can work harder to help you and others like you! 🤗

Userlevel 1

Personally I’d like the functionality to place event limits that spans across all events per week. I’m in recruiting and I have different events for each role that I’m working. If I’m recruiting for 5 different roles, I’d have 5 different live booking links on my Calendly account for each role. Thus, I’d REALLY appreciate the ability to place a global limit -- for example, setting a limit for a certain amount of total events booked per week, across all event types. This would go a long way in ensuring that I’m not overbooked with loads of external meetings.

As far as I know, Calendly only has the ability to place a limit on each individual event type, and this limit does not extend to other events. With Calendly’s current functionality, if event A allows a max of 3 meetings per day, and event B also allows 3 meetings per day, I could have up to six meetings on one day across both event types. I’d like the ability to place a limit on all events, ideally on a weekly AND daily basis, and it seems other users feel the same.

Upvoting this feature and also adding my use case.

I interview people once a week but my work hours are 9 to 5, Mon to Thurs. Right now 2 different people could schedule interviews on the same week but ideally if someone schedules an interview on the 24th week of the year, I don’t want that week to be available to anyone else. 

Userlevel 1

I have so many use cases for this feature (and am frustrated it does not exist yet). Like many here, my use cases covers several iterations of:

I need to schedule X number of appointments with Y type of individual over Z period of time 

To make that real, two use cases I have needed most recently:

• I needed to schedule 20 customer interviews with users of my client’s product over a 2-week timeline
  • I needed to schedule 5 stakeholder interviews with employees of my client over a 1-month period

I noted that some requests here are for a max number per week — that would not always work for my use cases. I would recommend that in the event limit section shown below, the prompt says something like:

[   ] events max per [   ] week(s) and

[   ] events max per day

This would cover nearly all the requests in this thread. It would cover rolling windows for the folks trying to stem the flow (e.g. sales calls per week) and could be used by people creating meeting windows with respondent quotas (e.g researchers like myself). Thanks!

I need the ability to limit how many meetings any customer/email can schedule overall.

So the option to set limit and interval together might be optimal.

I will try to create a workaround with routing by creating a new owner property, and route based on owner.

I want to upvote this feature as well! I do consulting/coaching, and I like my clients to have as much flexibility to book with me as possible, but because of prep and other support I do around each client, I don’t want my week to be booked up.

And so, if I have twenty slots available in a week, but I’m only really wanting to accept 6, I’d want the other 14 slots to go unavailable, as an example, when that limit is reached.

I’m realizing that I was hoping Calendly could help protect my unscheduled time so I could get some of this other work done. And it has, to a great extent, preserved blocks of time I don’t want to anyone to take. Yet, because of this, I’m still ended up overbooked.

I would really love this feature! Thanks for having it in development.

Userlevel 1

Any update on this rollout?  Excited to test…. any chance it will be before end of March 2024? 
(And all the consultants said amen. :) 

Userlevel 6

Hi all. No updates on this rollout yet, but trust me - our Product team is well aware (and actually getting an update with every single post) and working to figure it out.

Y’all will be the first to know when it drops. Promise!

Googled to see if there was a way to set a limit for all event types per day on calendly, and found this so I thought I’d add in my use case. I am a CSM that has many shared calendlys with AMs I share accounts with. So even limiting to 1 event per day with each AM, could leave me with a completely booked calendar because I have 8+ event types. Would love to be able to set a global limit.

Upvoting too. Managing number of events over weeks or months is a must have.

Userlevel 1

I’d like to jump in here as well! Sorely missing being able to limit # of a singular event type that can happen across a week, in addition to a global week limit on number of events that can be booked in a week.

My use case is needing to ensure that there are not multiple all day events in a week without manually blocking off calendars. Our clients should have the freedom to select a week day that works best for them, but we need to be able to limit the # of those events booked within a week. When having those all day events, we also need to limit the amount of other meetings booked within that same week.

Upvoting as well. This is a deciding factor for me when choosing my calendar booking system. I assumed Calendly had this, but will have to look at other softwares now. 

Upvoting the feature to at least limit the amount weekly events per event type. 

I just searched Google and found this thread. I am upvoting this as well. I have one calendar for a few different types of events and I want to limit the number of any type of appointment for the day. Thanks!

I need this feature so badly! I don’t want to just raise my daily limit and double my meeting load. If wish I could specify a specific limit for each day. Maybe Monday I do 2 of this type of meeting and Tues- Thurs only 1. That would be so perfect. 

Userlevel 1

We’re all pleading for this urgently needed use case of max appointments per week or per month. Reducing calendar time to minimal days and times isn’t a workable solution, and we may end up resorting to the very unattractive Sign Up Genius or even worse - literally scheduling by hand to manage only offering up to four or five time slots per week for a specific appointment type, while serving our clients well by not restricting them to only one day or a couple of times per week. 

Product team, help please. this is a hill I have to die on. 

Please share where this is in the product roadmap - we’re all your die-hard Calendly users who need answers stat. Many thanks for your help understanding if we are waiting for this in near term (Q2?) or if we are on our own for this must-have functionality for all 1099 folks, gig workers, consultants, and more. Thank you, @SchedulingSteve ! 

Userlevel 1

I'm all for enhancing this feature! My goal is to set a weekly limit on specific types of meetings I've established, while still maintaining scheduling flexibility for my team members. Unfortunately, the current workaround doesn't fit my needs—it overly narrows down available slots and compromises flexibility. Ideally, individuals arranging meetings should have the freedom to select times that suit their weekly schedules. However, I'd like the ability to cap the number of bookings for a particular meeting type at four per week.

We feel that limits at the global level and limits at an event level, are both important - but if only choosing one it would limits at an event level.

Certainly, both these issues are now at a stage where considering implementing other solutions.

GLOBAL LEVEL RESTRICTIONS
I would like a restriction on the amount of time someone can be ‘booked up’ in a week. We would have a choice of meetings lasting 15mins, 30mins, 1 hour or 4 hours. So the restriction is really to control what percentage of the day/ week/ month we are willing to allow to be filled (to allow for other work activities). I feel a sensible approach to this would be:
maximum of [   ] minutes of events every [   ] week(s)
OR
maximum of [   ] %age of events every [   ] week(s)

EVENT TYPE LEVELS

We want to offer scenarios on multiple levels i.e. No more than ‘X’ number of meetings per week, and ‘X’ number of meetings per fortnight and ‘X’ number of meetings per month.
The drivers behind this is the knock on impact of work required on the back of the meeting. For example: A 1 hour consultation meeting - might generate 2 weeks worth of resourcing requirements next month. So we need to restrict this to 1 or 2 per month at max. But we’re happy to do those two meetings at ANY point during the month and then manage resource for the following month.

Another example would be that a 1 hour consultation meeting - might generate 1 days worth of resourcing requirements in that same week. In this scenario we would to restrict this to 1 of those per week. We couldn’t do the same as above, i.e. take 4 meetings in the first week of the month.

The earlier suggestion below from Joseph80404 really gives a lot of flexibility:
[   ] events max per [   ] week(s) and
[   ] events max per day

Weeks is easy to understand and my example but I understand that some people might have calendar month examples. But my examples could be setup/ controlled as:

2 event(s) per 4 weeks and 2 events max per day
1 event(s) per 1 week

This following idea might be overcomplicating it (and the above really works)
[   ] events max per [   ] [working week/ week/ month]

*the only consideration of week vs working week is that the latter would permit an event on a Thursday and then the next Monday, whereas the former would technically be 1 event in a 7 days windo.

Userlevel 1

I have appreciated the ability to limit the number of meetings of a certain type that can be scheduled per day (under ‘additional rules for your availability’)… but would LOVE to be able to also limit the number of meetings of a certain type per week.

My situation… for 2024 I have a personal goal to host a new acquaintance for lunch once a week… but afraid if I use my standard lunch Calendly invite with this group, I could end up with multiple in the same week… and I would prefer not to have to manually block my calendar to do so.

I am also looking for something like this! I’ll be starting school in the fall and really don’t want to have more than 3-4 clients every week, so I wish my schedule could automatically close for the week once that limit is hit!