Skip to main content
Question

Ensuring confidentiality in the waiting room

• 14 March 2024
  • 4 replies

I am an Executive Coach and clients use Calendly to book Zoom sessions with me. I started running into the challenge with back-to-back meetings where clients in the Zoom waiting room are seeing the name of the previous client tsee attached photo].

The Topic of the Zoom meeting is being pulled from Calendly as "Name" + "Event Type"

So I wanted to see if there was a way I could somehow change this to protect client confidentiality.
There doesn’t appear to be a solution in Zoom and Calendly Tech support was not helpful.
It seems like there is no way to create unique Zoom IDs for each booking either. 

I am sure other coaches and therapists are using Calendly as the scheduling backbone and this issue creates major client confidentiality challenges

The only solutions I have found thus far are: 1) ideally, end the meeting before the next client lands in the waiting room ; 2) to go into Zoom and manually edit Meeting Topics for the coming week. 

Would love other ways to troubleshoot this… 

Hi @Jayson23313!

Hmm. That is very strange behavior. I’m rather perplexed why your waiting room is showing the name of the previous meeting, but let’s figure this out.

So first thing I’d look into is making sure your Zoom account has the settings you expect on your waiting room. I’ll admit I’m no expert on this, so I just got a bit of education wildly searching their help center too! But what I found out is that you can customize your waiting room quite extensively including having a default title, custom logo, video, images, etc. There is a ton of information in these Zoom articles here: Using Waiting Room and Enabling and Customizing Waiting Room.

Second, I’d consider generating a unique Zoom link for each coaching call. It sort of sounds like you might be using your Zoom Personal Meeting ID (a fixed URL) right now which could be why the previous invitees name is showing up. Using a unique Zoom link instead should (speaking from first hand experience here; all of my networking calls reflect the specific meeting name as expected) provide an air gap of sorts in between meetings even if they’re back-to-back. More on the Calendly + Zoom integration here.

Hope this helps. Let us know what you find out as I expect this knowledge might be helpful to others!

Hi Jillian, 

I wish it were that simple on either the Zoom end or the Calendly end.

On Zoom side, you can customize your waiting room but you cannot change the Meeting Topic at the top (which unfortunately pulls automatically from Calendly as the Full Name and the event type)> 

On the Calendly side, I would love to generate a unique Zoom link but I cannot figure out where to adjust that setting. The Integration instructions on the Help Site do not match the new UX as far as I can tell. So I disconnected my Zoom integration and reconnected it, but I still cannot find a place where i can move from using my Personal Meeting Room to a Unique Zoom link. If you can point me to how to get to this, that would be very helpful. 

Thank you

Hi @Jayson23313,

Well that’s definitely not ideal. I wish we could influence the Zoom side of things for ya!

On the Calendly side of things, it looks like the Zoom thing you need to change is actually within the Zoom settings (like in Zoom, not in Calendly) - and I just checked on my side with the most recent UX. If you head on over to https://zoom.us/profile/setting and scroll way down to ‘Schedule Meeting’, there’s a toggle setting that says “Use Personal Meeting ID (PMI) when scheduling a meeting”. I’m guessing you’ve got that toggled on right now, so let’s try turning it off. I’m fairly certain that’s the setting that is blocking the unique meetings from being generated.

Once you’ve done that, I’d recommend doing a dummy test with yourself (perhaps with a personal email address as the invitee?) to see if it’s working as intended.

Let us know what happens.

Thanks Jillian. I was also able to have a helpful conversation with Calendly Tech Support who is going to raise this issue with Zoom as the real issue is what info is being shown while in the waiting room. 

I will try your workaround - not ideal because I want my PMI to be my default in other applications like Google Calendar where I can control what Meeting Topic says.

Appreciate the support.