Skip to main content

Feature request - reminders into .ics

• 10 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello,

I have a bit of a feature request - when someone books a meeting with me I get the email come through with “Add to calendar” links, which I use over any kind of calendar syncing (the calendar I use is unsupported by Calendly). I use the “Add to iCal/Outlook” button which returns the .ics file and my calendar app processes it.

These ics files arrive with no reminder data (ALARM, I think it is?) which makes sense as there is nowhere in Calendly to configure them, but could there be? My calendar app natively supports adding reminders to all events received except for some reason those coming via these buttons in the Calendly notification email.

Note, I am not talking about the email-reminder functionality Calendly offers, but specifically the line of code in the ics files that set reminders.

Thanks

Hey there, @Andi18535 - thanks for posting this topic. It’s a great question!

To clarify - you are asking if there is (or could be) a way to make it so the ICS file you use to add events to your calendar could include built-in calendar reminders? 

Unfortunately, this is not something on our roadmap. It would require higher calendar permissions, and I am not sure if it’s something we could even configure, as it would involve actually messing with the settings in your personal calendar. All Calendly maintains re: calendar connections (when you do set one up) is pushing newly booked events to “add-to” calendars and reading “free/busy” statuses to make sure there customers aren’t double-booked.

I understand the need, 100% absolutely! I use calendar reminders as well, both on my mobile devices and my MacBook. On my mobile device, this involves setting up notifications from within my phone’s settings (for the iCal app - which is a calendar reader and not the calendar itself). On my MacBook, this involves setting up notifications from directly within my calendars (Google and iCloud) for the browser (Chrome, for me) or calendar apps themselves. 

I did want to address the fact that Calendly does integrate with iCloud Calendar and Outlook.com/0365 Calendars, as well as Exchange. You mentioned iCloud and Outlook, so if you are using these calendars you can simply head to your Calendar Connection page and set them up natively so you do not have to worry about adding these events manually! 

Here is an article about setting up computer/desktop reminders with iCloud Calendar.

Here is an article about setting up reminders/notifications on your iPhone/iPad and all other devices. 

Here is an article about setting up reminders within the browser when using iCloud.com to view your calendar. 

Here is an article about setting up reminders in Outlook.com and Outlook app Calendars. 

Here is another article about setting up reminders in Outlook calendars.

Lastly, here is an article about configuring your calendars to communicate with each other (if you end up wanting to share your calendars with each other and then connect one or both to Calendly). 

I do hope this helps!