Skip to main content
Question

iCal integration

• 3 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Both myself and my college have Calendly calendars and each is connected to a respective iCal shared calendar. When a meeting is added to either Calendly calendar, it is appropriately added to the correct iCal calendar. But In iCal, when I move a calendar event from 1 shared calendar to the other, the change is not reflected on either Calendly calendar.

Please advise.

Thank you.

Kent

Hey @Gina20071 - thanks for posting!

This is expected behavior, but I understand the confusion!

Firstly, it might clear up some confusion to better understand the calendar connection. We integrate with iCloud Calendar, Google Calendar and so on, but not iCal itself. The Apple Calendar app (or iCal) you may be used to seeing on your MacBook or iPhone isn't really a calendar at all, but rather a calendar viewer. Since iCal/Apple Calendar is simply a display interface where a user can view other online calendars, it is not possible for Calendly to integrate directly with Apple Calendar/iCal.

The Apple Calendar app can be connected to any number of Calendars like iCloud Calendar, Google Calendar and more. So, if you want your Calendly events to be visible in your Apple Calendar app simply connect Calendly to one of your calendars being displayed in iCal and you should be good to go!

For example: If your main calendar is a Google calendar, but you view it in your Apple Calendar Application, you’ll want to connect Calendly to your Google Calendar account under Calendar Connections in the Calendly app.

NOTE: It is possible to add an event directly to iCal in a way that it doesn't end up on the connected calendar that Calendly is checking for availability.

Secondly, each Calendly user gets one “add to” calendar, as you have seen. All bookings for that user are pushed to their add to calendar automatically. You can make changes within your add to calendar, but, those changes will not be communicated to Calendly. So, if you move a booking from your add to calendar to another calendar, you’ll want to keep in mind that the original booking will remain unchanged in the Calendly account it was booked in.

The one exception comes into play if you select this box under “add to calendar” > “edit”:

which will result in the booking being cancelled in Calendly if you delete/decline it in your add to calendar, which is also triggered if you move it to another calendar (which registers as being deleted). 

I hope this helps! Let us know if you have more questions! Do you mind explaining your use case here, and why you need to move bookings between iCloud calendars once made? Perhaps there’s a better way to accomplish your goal using Calendly and the features available that I can help you figure out! 

Kelsi,

Thank you for the reply. I’m trying to get the the Sync cancellations option, shown above, but I see this when I click on Add to calendar > Edit

Please advise. Thank you, Kent

Hey again, @Gina20071! (It looks like you are actually Kent, per your sign-off; please know I am addressing you as the screen name so I can tag you and you see this response more quickly!) 

I see what you are talking about, and want to address three things. Firstly, I do apologize for giving you partial information above. The “sync cancellations” option is not available with iCloud Calendar. Calendly's Google and Office 365/Outlook.com calendar connections offer a "Sync Cancellations" option. Users can access this by clicking "Edit" next to "Add to calendar" on their Calendar Connections page.

Secondly, if you are able to make the desired calendar appear as an “add to” calendar option, please do note that this will still not result in the goal you described in your original post. You will not be able to move around bookings in external calendars (example, iCloud) and see those changes reflected in your Calendly accounts. Bookings made in Calendly will remain under the host/account they were booked with originally (unless you delete them/cancel them from your calendar with the “sync cancellations” toggle on when using Google or Office365/Outlook.com calendars - which will simply cancel the Calendly booking as well). I hope this makes sense, but def let me know if it does not so I can assist further on this specific portion of your goal!

Thirdly, it does appear as though you are hoping to see another shared/subscription calendar as an “add to” calendar option.

Calendly cannot connect to iCloud calendars you subscribe to via URL.

A subscription calendar will have a darkened icon next to it in the lefthand sidebar of your Apple Calendar. If you see a URL when you select the icon, this means you're subscribed to a public calendar, and Calendly will not be able to connect to it.

Example of a subscribed calendar in iCloud Calendar

While Calendly cannot connect to subscription calendars, you can connect to a private calendar that's been shared with you, as long as you have View & Edit privileges for that iCloud calendar. Reach out to the owner of the calendar to request View & Edit privileges. Learn more about sharing iCloud calendars.

I hope this helps make sense of things, but again, please let us know if it doesn’t and we’ll be here to assist further! Keep in mind our jam packed Help Center also has all sorts of resources, to include the information I shared here and more. You might benefit from checking out this article!