Question

Cookie banner on mobile negatively impacting my conversions

As of mid-March 2024, my conversions from Google Ads (almost 100% mobile traffic) have decreased dramatically. I tested the scheduling experience from an incognito window and found that the cookie banner takes up the entire screen on mobile and then makes it virtually impossible to scroll down to schedule. It’s a terrible user experience. Is there anything I can do?

5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hey @Kelly80365 I’m sorry to hear about the impact the cookie banner has had on user experience! I’ve definitely got some recommendations for you which are covered in this guide on the Calendly Cookies

1. If you've already embedded Calendly on your website, access your Calendly embed code from the HTML editor on your site.
  2. In your embed code, add the following parameter to your Calendly link: hide_gdpr_banner=1

The final code will look something like this:

<div class="calendly-inline-widget" data-url="https://calendly.com/YOUR_EVENT?hide_gdpr_banner=1" style="min-width:320px;height:630px;"></div><script type="text/javascript" src="https://assets.calendly.com/assets/external/widget.js"></script>If you implement this URL parameter and notice that on mobile the embed is still showing the cookie banner then let me know and I’ll share another approach that could help you!

@Austin Calendly isn’t embedded—I’m linking to it from my website. The issue is only occurring on mobile. Any other advice?

Userlevel 1

That makes a lot of sense! In this case I’d highly recommend embedding this onto a landing page to give you greater control. For GDPR, our own managed pages will display the cookie banner. Cookies are used to identify and authenticate users to the Calendly website and to save site login information for you. You can read up more information on cookies in the Calendly Privacy Policy.

You can read about our embed process here, and you’ll notice it is a fairly straight forward copy/paste process of the code we provide in-app. That should make implementing Calendly embeds a little easier! Let me know if I can help with anything 😀

@Austin This seemed like a great idea until I invested hours in trying to make the Calendly embed work properly on mobile with iPhones. It “sticks” and won’t allow the user to scroll to the bottom of the form. A quick Google tells me I’m not alone. Do you have a solution for this issue, which actually prevents users from scheduling? I am deep into Calendly as my scheduling solution, but if I can’t find a way to both remove the cookie banner and allow iPhone users to schedule, I will have to find another tool. I spend too much on traffic to my site to have people bounce because of poor user experience.

Userlevel 1

Hey @Kelly80365 sorry to hear you are running into issues with the mobile version! I appreciate you sharing that discourse thread as well, and will confirm that the recommendations provided in the responses is what I’d recommend as well. You will set a fixed height for the div block that holds your Calendly widget, and the sweet spot is between 1000px-1500px. 

Our pop-up widget, or pop-up text are also great options! They will load the widget in a new module, which prevents the “sticking” that you described. I’d love to learn more about your scenario and help you get things working smoothly. To keep your information private, would you email me at support@calendly.com with a link to your website and we can take a look at things together?