Question

Create a new event through Calendly's API

• 5 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello, 

I don’t have much experience using APIs, but I have managed to used Calendly’s for my purposes so far, i.e, a django application which needs to be able to get a list of events from an organization, cancel events and so on.
The issue I am facing now is that I don’t really know how to create a new event through the API, or if that is even possible. I have looked at the API’s documentation and I am not really sure how to make a post request that creates an event. I know the structure of an event object, but I don’t really know how to create one through a post request since the uri would have to be generated by Calendly itself, I suppose.

So in conclusion my main question is: How does one create an event through the API, what data would be needed in a json object?

Thank you. 

2 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Luis,

You’re able to create a one off event type and the required parameters are:

• host
    • This would be the user uri. You can use this request to get that information. 
  • name
    • Name of the one off Event
  • duration
    • Duration of meeting in minutes
  • date setting
    • specified date range for one off event

The host, name, and duration are simple parameters that you can pass in the request URL like this:

• https://api.calendly.com/one_off_event_types?host={{user_uri}}&name=Test Event&duration=500

The date setting information is the last parameter required for this POST request. If the date setting parameter is all you add to the JSON object. It would look like this:

You can also opt to put all parameters in the JSON object vs in the request URL. The request URL and the JSON object would then resemble something like this:

Hey @Luis26213!

Please know that at this time, our API endpoints do not support scheduling events. To schedule an event from your website, you can use one of our embed options instead. This will allow you to display a Calendly booking page directly in your site where Invitees can input their information and select the date and time they want to book. Please refer to this section of our embed article for more detailed information on some of the advanced embed options available to you as a developer.

You can also use our Create Single-Use Scheduling Link endpoint to create a one-time link that Invitees can use to book, although this would require you to specify which Event Type you are basing the link off of.

With that said, if you were referring to creating an Event Type in Calendly (rather than creating a new event on an Invitee’s calendar using Calendly), Javay’s answer in this thread is absolutely an option for you!