Skip to main content
Question

Blocking out AND allowing meetings based on same custom schedule

• 11 July 2024
  • 2 replies

I hope there is an easy workaround to this, but I have not been able to work one out! 

I work mostly remotely - most of my meetings are virtual, but some are in person. I have to travel to the city for the in person meetings and so try to do this only once a week or so - not on a regular schedule. 

I therefore need to set custom  days when I’m in the city - and then use those days to EXCLUDE availability of virtual meetings and INCLUDE in person.

At the moment, I have two different meeting types  but have to create custom schedules for each one, blocking out the dates twice. It would be really great if I could use some wording in my Apple calendar to indicate that I’m having a day of in person meetings, allowing people to book in person events and excluding virtual ones. If that’s not possible, can I at least use set up one custom schedule to both exclude and include availability in the different event types??

Thanks - and hope this makes sense!

best wishes

Andrew 

This topic has been closed for comments

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey there @Andrew12333 -- thanks for your post!

Firstly, what you are asking makes complete sense. I just wanted to go ahead and address that so you didn’t have to wonder! 🤗

Unfortunately, there is no way to do this within a single event type. While you can absolutely use date specific hours to block off specific dates and to make available specific dates on an event type or an Availability Schedule, you cannot automate any sort of process that will result in your event type “knowing” you can only take virtual bookings on certain days and IRL bookings on others. Likewise, while you can offer multiple location options on one-on-one event types (Zoom + in-person, for example), those location options are all made available to all invitees on the booking page regardless of date/time. There is no way to set it up within the event so that Zoom is only available as a location on X days and so on.

I am sorry to have to tell you this, because my least favorite thing to do is tell a customer here “no” and not have much of a viable workaround to offer. 😐

💡That said, the workaround would be: 

• set up and customize two event types; one with your virtual and one with your in-person location
  • set up your custom availability on both ETs
  • allow invitees to book either/or ET

💡Optionally: 

• instead of sharing the link to your booking page/ETs created > set up a Calendly Routing Form
  • include a question like, “would you prefer to meet virtually or in-person?”
  • set up routing logic that auto-routes invitees to the appropriate ET based on the answer they provide
  • share the link to the routing form 
  • streamline the scheduling process + eliminate the possibility of invitees accidentally booking the wrong ET

(You can read more about Calendly Routing at the link above + right here!)

Can you include and exclude available dates/times in a single ET/schedule? 

Yes - you absolutely can! Yay! You can read more here: Availability Schedules. You’ll also want to check out the short video I made for you, below:

I hope this helps! 🙂

Kelsi, thank you for that - helpful to understand the options, even though there isn’t an ideal fix for my situation. I appreciate your quick reply!

have a great day

best wishes

Andrew