Skip to main content
Solved

Blocking time in Google Calendar

• 23 February 2024
  • 2 replies

So I've created a calendar event for the first Thursday of every month… how do I block that out in my calendar so no one else can book in Google cal without blocking it out for calendly, as it won’t then let anyone book into the event

I read a post that said you can leave a placeholder gcal event as ‘free’ but people could still book other calendlty events over the top of that. This is not the only calendly event I have

Hi @Tom07304!

Great question. So a few things to address here…

First up, the placeholder ‘free’ event in Google Calendar is a good way of making sure people avoid that block of time if they’re scheduling through your calendar directly. Calendly won’t read that time as busy and therefore people will be able to book with you. I’d highly recommend giving that placeholder block a very descriptive name so any peers looking at your calendar don’t disregard it and schedule over anyways. I have blocks like this on my calendar that say things like “DNS (Do Not Schedule) - Ask Before Scheduling”.

Second, it sounds like you want this specific event to have an extra level of access to Thursday while all other event types does not. The best way to accomplish this is by leveraging availability schedules. In this scenario, you’d want to have an availability schedule applied to all other event types that restricts your availability on those specific Thursdays. You’d have a second availability schedule that is wide open on those specific Thursdays. For example, I have several event types that all check my work calendar but they have different availability schedules so I can restrict availability depending on who I’m sharing it with. Total strangers? Limited. Colleagues at other companies? More open. Calendly co-workers? My normal working schedule.

Hope this helps!

Thank you @jillian