Skip to main content

Host-initiated event cancellations after start

• 10 November 2023
  • 8 replies

When an event is canceled by the host after it has started, it is not counted as a canceled event in Calendly's statistics and is simply marked as a no-show. This can significantly skew statistics, as canceled events are different from no-shows.

In addition, if a workflow is created to send an email to those who canceled to reschedule, it will be ineffective, as the guest did not attend and never clicked the "cancel event" button. This means that the workflow will be largely ineffective.

Solution:

To address this issue, Calendly could consider the following changes:

• Classify host-initiated event cancellations after start as canceled events, not no-shows. This would allow users to obtain more accurate statistics about their cancellations.
  • Allow users to configure their workflows to trigger when an event is canceled, even if it is canceled by the host after start. This would allow users to send emails to guests who canceled, even if they were not the ones who canceled the event.

Impact:

These changes would have a positive impact on the accuracy of Calendly's statistics and the effectiveness of workflows.

Recommendation:

I recommend that Calendly consider implementing these changes as soon as possible.

Accuracy of statistics

Currently, Calendly's statistics for canceled events and no-shows are combined. This can be inaccurate because canceled events and no-shows are different things. Canceled events are events that were scheduled but later canceled by the host or the guest. No-shows are events that were scheduled but the guest did not attend.

If Calendly were to classify host-initiated event cancellations after start as canceled events, not no-shows, this would improve the accuracy of its statistics in the following ways:

• Users would be able to see the true number of canceled events, which would give them a better understanding of their cancellation rate.
  • Users would be able to compare their cancellation rate to the industry average, which would help them identify areas for improvement.
  • Users would be able to track their cancellation rate over time to see if it is improving or declining.

Effectiveness of workflows

Currently, if a user creates a workflow to send an email to those who cancel to reschedule, the workflow will not be triggered if the event is canceled by the host after start. This is because the guest never clicked the "cancel event" button.

If Calendly were to allow users to configure their workflows to trigger when an event is canceled, even if it is canceled by the host after start, this would make workflows more effective in the following ways:

• Users would be able to send emails to guests who canceled, even if they did not cancel the event themselves. This would increase the chances of the guest rescheduling the event.
  • Users could customize the email to explain why the event was canceled and to apologize to the guest. This would show the guest that the user is still interested in meeting with them and that the cancellation was not their fault.
  • Users could offer the guest a discount on their next appointment or some other incentive to reschedule. This would make it more likely that the guest would reschedule.

Oh @fisicalcheck! We love this type of feedback and this is so detailed. Thank you!

I’m tagging in my peer @SchedulingSteve since he loves this type of feedback more than anyone I know and will absolutely make sure it gets to the right team.

Thank you! I think it would really be very helpful for the area of event metrics so that users can better measure their effectiveness.

Thank you @fisicalcheck and @jillian . Love how articulate and clear you explain the pain and the recommended solution. 

I’ll discuss with our PM team. This also relates/ties to our plans to make it easier for hosts to reschedule meetings and track RSVPs. We need to make workflows and analytics work well with those as well.

Hey @fisicalcheck! I wanted to get some clarification on this feedback so that we are sure to send it to the right place!

When you say that an event is “cancelled after it has started” what exactly are you indicating? What is the play-by-play, and can you walk me through it please? (Ex: what steps are you taking when cancelling, how are you cancelling, and by “after it has started” do you mean after the start time has come and gone?)

We would love to hear more and will be happy to hear back from you! =) 

Hi Kelsi,

Thanks for your query.

The problem is that the host cannot mark an event as canceled after it has started. This can be a problem because it can affect the host's stats.

One possible solution would be to have no-shows count as canceled events. This would allow hosts to record events more accurately and help protect their stats.

I think this solution would be an improvement for Calendly. It would allow hosts to record events more accurately and help protect their stats.

I hope this information is helpful.

Thanks again for this feedback, @fisicalcheck! We are definitely appreciative. Our product team has this on their radar! 

Thanks Kelsi! 

It is not a comment that we make as something personal or that only serves FsicalCheck, I think it can help all users to have more real metrics and use them to make decisions.

Thanks Kelsi! 

It is not a comment that we make as something personal or that only serves FsicalCheck, I think it can help all users to have more real metrics and use them to make decisions.

I totally agree - it would be great to see this work more smoothly for all Calendly users! Rest assured I have taken this feedback to the appropriate team members to be looked at. =)