Skip to main content
Question

How do I set up Calendly to ignore my actual availability?

• 18 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Use case

• I am scheduling regular office hours for customers, where they can sign up through Calendly.
  • I want these time slots be blocked on my calendar in advance, so that other meetings don’t get scheduled over them.
  • These blocked slots are exactly the slots I want to make available to Calendly, but Calendly assumes I am busy and doesn’t allow me to schedule over this time. 
  • I tried setting up Calendly first as then secure slots on my calendar, but Calendly canceled everything once the slots appeared on my calendar. 

How do I make Calendly ignore my actual calendar, if I want to designate blocked slots on my calendar as open for Calendly?  I assume this should be a pretty common use case. 

Hey there @Lada -- great post! 

Thanks for the thorough explanation of your use case. It’s very helpful!

So, this is very simple to achieve -- I’ll break it down for you in a list just like you did for us!

• Set your Availability Schedule in Calendly with your desired blocks of time
  • Head to your Calendar Sync page > check for conflicts > click “edit” > deselect your calendar and save
  • This results in Calendly not checking your connected calendar for conflicts
  • Set your “busy” blocks on your calendar as desired
  • You’re all set!

Now, keep in mind this will mean Calendly will not check your calendar for any conflicts at all. It’s an all or nothing setting, choosing to have Calendly ignore your calendar. That means that if you have other “busy” events you’d prefer not to be booked over Calendly will not know. So, you’ll want to block off that time in Calendly instead.

I hope this helps!

@Kelsi at Calendly thank you very much for the prompt reply.

It’s definitely a solution, but a pretty brutal one 🙂 Feature request for consideration: rather than all-or-nothing conflict resolution, allow users to override specific instances. There is already a perfect place in the UI that shows me why certain slots are no longer available. Having an option “override this conflict” would be perfect. 

User Interviews has an elegant way of dealing with conflict resolution, you Product folks may take a look at it. 

Thank you again, Lada

Hey again @Lada -- you’re right, it is brutal. That’s why it’s already being worked on -- we do have a solution to this on our roadmap, so hang in there and keep an eye out for it! In the meantime I will still be sure to include your feedback in our monthly report for the product team. It’s important.

Have a great day!