Skip to main content
Question

How to create a group event with 1 time slot?

• 12 March 2024
  • 7 replies

We have instances where we need to oscillate b/w 1, 2,and 3 time slots for a given day.  Group event type only takes a value greater than 1.  We find it incredibly cumbersome to maintain 3-4 calendars just to support this.  Any suggestions on how to do this?

Hey there @Brazoria20128 - great questions! Firstly, check out our New User Guide - it’ll def prove helpful as you get used to the platform! You might also want to check out our Company Admin Guide as you learn your way around the Calendly platform! 

Group Event Types will only ever allow for an invitee limit that is greater than “1” - so a minimum of “2” invitees per time slot. I apologize for the fact that this doesn’t perfectly fit your use case - I understand that’s frustrating!

You will need to create a one-on-one event type for any event in which you only wish to allow a single invitee to book a time slot. 

Once you have created your Group Events and One-on-One events, you can consider using routing to appropriately and more easily send invitees to the correct event for booking!

Routing forms let you request information such as industry, company size, specific interests, etc. from website visitors and automatically direct them to a specific scheduling or web page based on their responses. It's great for screening and qualifying sales leads on a website or matching clients or students to the booking page of the right subject-matter expert based on their interests, program, or other criteria. You can read more about setting up routing forms, here!

I hope this helps!

Thanks Kelsi - but how would we reconcile the fact that if we have 2 slots and 1 slot event types active that we could actually have 3 slots filled for the same time slot.  We have scenarios where sometimes we have 3 in office and some times 1 in office.  

I will say this is incredibly helpful.  Not being able to oscillate b/w 2 and 1 time slots without cumbersome event, slot, and scheduling maintenance is a deal breaker for us.  In fact, you really cannot do it.  It seems someone just added a field validation to prevent groups from having 1 - why would there be a restriction on this?

Thanks Kelsi - but how would we reconcile the fact that if we have 2 slots and 1 slot event types active that we could actually have 3 slots filled for the same time slot.  We have scenarios where sometimes we have 3 in office and some times 1 in office.  

Hey! Calendly does not allow overlapping event types. So, if your group ET with two slots is booked, then your one-on-one ET will not be able to be booked at the same time. This will avoid your issue! 

I will say this is incredibly helpful.  Not being able to oscillate b/w 2 and 1 time slots without cumbersome event, slot, and scheduling maintenance is a deal breaker for us.  In fact, you really cannot do it.  It seems someone just added a field validation to prevent groups from having 1 - why would there be a restriction on this?

Group event types have never been able to have less than 2 invitees per time slot, as the intended purpose of a group event type is the ability for multiple invitees to book in one time slot. 🙂 I hope this helps! 

Hey! Calendly does not allow overlapping event types. So, if your group ET with two slots is booked, then your one-on-one ET will not be able to be booked at the same time. This will avoid your issue! 

This sounds contradictory - can explain further?  

This sounds contradictory - can explain further?  

Calendly does not allow overlapping events - meaning that both of your separate event types (one-on-one and group, or two group event types etc.) cannot be booked at the same time. For that reason, if one (or two) invitees book your group event type in a given time slot (say at 7pm on a Thursday), your one-on-one event type will not be available for booking at that time, and vice versa.

Hope this helps!