Skip to main content

Once again got an email from a client who signed up using my Calendly link and never received the call-in information email afterwards. I'm so surprised that Calendly seems to work great for everyone and it hardly works for me at all, so I wonder if you could let me know what I am doing wrong. Here's the deal:

My Calendly is hooked up with Google Calendar, and from my POV it all works great and people's appointments pop up on my calendar automatically. My google calendar uses my own domain if that’s relevant.

HOWEVER, after using it for about half a year, I'd say 40% of the people who make an appointment on my Calendly link don't receive the email confirmation (it lands in their spam, or they never get it at all). The result is, they think their job is done (since they used my link), forget about it, the invite pops up on my calendar and I sit there and nobody joins the call. When I ask why they didn't join, the answer is "I never got the call information" and they reschedule, and still say they did not receive an invite. In the end, the only way for me to make it work with many of these folks is by “converting” the invite that pops up on my calendar into a standard Gcal invite (by manually editing it and adding their email address), then they receive it. Needless to say, very tedious. I have considered making it a habit to "convert" all my Calendly generated invites into Google invites at the end of the day, BUT that ends up confusing those who DID get the original Calendly invite (because they now get 2 invites, and then they cancel one because it bothers them, which shows up as a cancelation on my end, although they didn't really want to cancel). Again, so tedious and everyone ends up being confused!

The other scenario is, of those remaining who book a time through my Calendly link and DO get an invite, they assume it will pop up on their calendars automatically (as other invites apparently do), so they see the email, don't do anything about it, and guess what, the Calendly invite never automatically syncs to their calendars, so they miss it. The second time when they realize this, they manually enter the invite into their calendar, but again, so tedious!

I'm so confused what I am doing wrong here since everyone speaks so highly about Calendly and I really want it to work, but I am so frustrated about the amount of time I have wasted waiting for someone who didn't even have me on the radar anymore... any thoughts? Obviously, I guess at the end of the day it is related to them granting permissions so that Calendly has access to their calendar, but am I expected to convince every stranger to enable Calendly and set up syncing just for being able to talk to me? Yet, Calendly seems so popular, that I am wondering if I am doing something wrong? Thanks for any leads you might have!

PS: I did see this text below, and my account is set up for ‘calendar invitations’, yet people tell me it’s either not on their calendar/ they did not receive an email/ the email didn’t sync to their calendars. If it were for a few people only, I’d say that’s just unfortunate, but more than half of the people who book a time encounter one problem or the other.

1. With Email ConfirmationsCalendly sends the invitee an email notification from notifications@calendly.com and has a reply-to address that's associated with your Calendly login email. You can modify this on Account Settings page.
  2. With Calendar Invitations, your connected calendar sends the invitee a notification of the booked meeting which has a reply-to address that's associated with your Add to calendar email on your Calendar Connection page.

As a follow up: I tried booking an invite using my own link, and noticed that the email that sends out the invite is notifications@calendly.com For me that was not an issue, I received the email in my inbox, and it showed on my calendar without any problems. But I used a personal email account that doesn’t have any firewall blockers or spam blockers installed. I wonder whether other corporate email accounts might consider the calendly domain spam and that is the issue after all? Please help!