Skip to main content
Question

New to Calendly - help setting up first event type!

• 11 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Sorry in advance, I’m a bit of a dinosaur.

I want to use Calendly to create one-off workshops for events (would like to send out first invite this week) that will be paid events. Things I’d like to include:

• Gather basic information from attendees (name/email)
  • Ask them a couple of clarifying questions (occupation, dietary needs, for example)
  • Allow them to purchase tickets for the events via a link that’s connected to my bank or PayPal account.
  • Add FAQs
  • Add Refund Policy and Cancelation info.
  • Any way to add photos or documents to the invites?

Can I do all of the above with Calendly and an I do a pay-as-you-go option since we’re not sure how many workshops we’ll be doing? I thought I’d drafted a one-off event to test it but now can’t find under my free account where I put it. 

Any guidance you can give will be much appreciated. 

Thank you!

Hello! Great questions!

Firstly, welcome! You will def want to check out our New User Guide - it will answer a lot of these questions and more!

To be more specific, you can do all of this, but not with One-Off Meeting types. You will want to instead create a one-on-one event type. You can then share a single-use link of this one-on-one event type and make the event secret if you do not wish for it to appear publicly on your landing page and/or have just anyone book it. Likewise, you can use our Customize Once and Share tool in order to make small changes (title, description, duration, available dates/hours, payment, cancellation policy and more) for a single invitee before sending a single-use booking link to them!

You can use Invitee Questions On Your Booking Page in order to gather the info that you need from invitees. You can include your FAQs in your event description, which will carry over to booking confirmations. You can also include FAQs and attachments (links) in followup emails using Workflows

At this time it is not possible to attach images or files to an ET or followup. I hope this helps!

Thanks so much, Kelli!!! This is fabulous information. Greatly appreciated. Will give it a go.

Best wishes for the holidays,

Hey @Happy06785 - so glad to have helped! Let us know if you get stuck. Have a wonderful holiday season! ☃️

Hi!

I thought I’d got it all sorted but now it looks like only one person can register 🙄. I followed the instructions and created a 1-2-1 event and then posted the link on my website.  Please can you tell me what I did wrong 🙈 as it appears only one person can buy a ticket  😂.

thank you!

It looks like I need to create a group event instead of a 1-2-1. I’ve done that but because someone has already purchased the 121 ticket, I don’t seem to be able to activate the new group even to replace the incorrect one. If I delete the first event that someone’s already purchased a ticket for, what will happen? Please advise how I can fix my mistake. Thank you!

Hello again!

No worries. We can help you with this.

It appears my community peer didn’t realize you meant you were doing events with multiple people at a time - hence the one-on-one suggestion. Sorry about that confusion! Since you’re doing events with multiple attendees, the group event would be best as you’ve determined.

As for how to handle the customer that already booked and paid, what I would suggest here is to make the new group event secret and remove the payment option for a moment. Then export the invitee info from the person who did already pay on the wrong event type and cancel that booking (no, it won’t issue a refund). Then, you can reschedule that invitee on the new group event (to do this, just use your new booking page like the customer would but with their booking info) without the payment collection enabled on the group event booking page. After that person is rescheduled, add the payment option to the group event and make it available for other people to book. If you’ve already got this live and taking new bookings, it might be best to do it at a time that’s less likely when people are actively booking (ie, not during business hours).

It may also be helpful to let the customer who booked know they will receive new confirmation emails - just so they aren’t worried about their booking as you make the changes.

I hope this helps!