Solved

Round Robin Meeting and Multiple Google Calendars

• 17 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Hello, new to Calendly! I'm interested in setting up a Round Robin Event Type for a booking page that draws availability from multiple hosts' Google calendars without restricting other members' availability. Essentially, I want to pool all hosts' availabilities, and when a client selects a time slot, the system selects an available founder who is free at that time.

Not sure but it seems that it can only detect open hour slots in which ALL founders are available, rather than slots when just one founder is available. Is that true?

I am currently on a Teams Plan Trial to test out this tool. 

icon

Best answer by Kelsi at Calendly 23 April 2024, 00:24

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6

Hi @Sheila65604!

It sounds like you’re looking to run a Round Robin shared event which is a type of Collective event. In this event type, you have a pool of hosts who are available to pull from - which sounds like what you described. You can learn more about it and how to set it up here: https://help.calendly.com/hc/en-us/articles/14076667333783-How-to-set-up-a-Round-Robin-shared-event

In the scenario with the Collective event, if we had three hosts that all were available at 10am, and if one client books a 10am slot, would other clients be able to book the second or third open10am slot?

Userlevel 7

In the scenario with the Collective event, if we had three hosts that all were available at 10am, and if one client books a 10am slot, would other clients be able to book the second or third open10am slot?

Hey there! So, a Collective Event Type (click to read more about them!) is actually a multiple hosts > one invitee event (meaning multiple hosts meet together, at the same time, with a single invitee - think things like panel interviews!). This means that all hosts assigned to the event must be available at the same time (invitees will only see time slots on a booking page that all assigned hosts are available to be booked for) in order to meet with an invitee that books. Once a time slot is booked by an invitee, all of the assigned hosts will become unavailable at that time as they’ll all be meeting with said invitee simultaneously. So, no additional invitees would be able to book at that time unless there were also other hosts available for different event types. 

If you want multiple invitees to be able to book one-on-one style with multiple hosts that are available for those one-on-one meetings at the same time or at different times, then you’d want to use a Round Robin Event Type, not a Collective. In this case, yes! If one invitee books a host at 10am and the other hosts are also available at 10am, that time slot will remain on the booking page until/if the point comes that all available hosts for that time slot are booked (depending on how you set up the Round Robin distribution - to optimize for availability or equal distribution - read more on that here!). 

I hope this helps!

Read the below Community articles to learn more about things I went over, like Round Robin and Collective ETs: 

p.s. check out our Company Admin Guide - it’s full of tips + tricks that will help you get started as you figure out how to best set up your users, teams and events! You can also check out our New User Guide and share that link with the users in your organization. Have a great night. =) 

Thank you! With Round Robin events, it sounds like I’d create a team and then create a round robin event type with that team. With each invited team member and host, they’d enter in available hours but what about checking external calendars for conflicts? For the hosts, is their a way for each individual host’s google calendar to be connected and checked for conflicts? 

Userlevel 7

Thank you! With Round Robin events, it sounds like I’d create a team and then create a round robin event type with that team. With each invited team member and host, they’d enter in available hours but what about checking external calendars for conflicts? For the hosts, is their a way for each individual host’s google calendar to be connected and checked for conflicts? 

Hey again - great question! 😃

The short answer is “yes!” That said, let me explain it in juuust a bit more detail for you - so it all makes sense. 🤗

Each Calendly user has their account, meaning each host that you add to a team + add to a Round Robin ET (ET = event type) will operate within your Calendly organization from their individual Calendly account. 

For each account, there is a Calendar Sync page, just like the one you have. Each of these users will set up their own calendar connections (Google Calendar being your example, here) on their Calendar Sync page(s), then make the appropriate edits to their “check for conflicts” sections for those calendar connections. 

This means that, on your Round Robin ET: 

• each host will have their own Availability within Calendly set for the Round Robin ET
  • each host will have their own calendar connection set up
  • each host’s “check for conflicts” calendar settings will ensure that “busy” events on those calendars are also read as conflicts for their Calendly ETs
  • the Round Robin ET will not allow bookings over “busy” events of any individual host’s “check for conflicts” calendar
  • the Round Robin ET will not allow bookings over other Calendly bookings that any host has
  • ultimately, this means that on the public booking page, the available dates/times shown for invitees to choose from will exclude all bookings within Calendly for each host and all “busy” events on those hosts’ connected calendars

I hope this helps make more sense of things, for you!
I know I mentioned these above, but - you will also definitely benefit from reading our Company Admin Guide, as well as our New User Guide, both of which are full of tips + tricks to help as you learn the Calendly ropes. The Company Admin Guide in particular goes over all sorts of things teams and team events related. 

Let us know if you have any more questions. We’ll be here! 🔆

Userlevel 7

@She47682 sorry - I wanted to add one more thing to your benefit, and rather than editing my above comment (which would not result in you being notified), I thought I’d add a new one (which will result in you being notified!). 

Regarding the “multiple Google Calendars” portion of all of this: 

I understand that you were asking if you could have the Google Calendars of multiple different hosts considered when it comes to availability on a given event type, and that’s where the education about Round Robin ETs and Collective ETs came in (each of these event types will consider the “busy” events on the Google Calendars for each host assigned). 

That said - I did want to also point out that each individual Calendly user can have up to six calendar connections on their Calendar Sync page, and each of those connections can have multiple sub calendars within them. 

So, if one of your users: 

• sets up 3 separate Google Calendars (meaning 3 email addresses to connect one calendar each) on their Calendar Sync page
  • each of those Google Calendars happens to have 3 sub calendars within it
  • the user clicks “edit” next to “check for conflicts” on their Calendar Sync page and selects for all 3 Google Calendars and all 3 sub calendars under each to be read for conflicts

this would then result in all main and sub calendar “busy” events for that user’s Google Calendars being read as conflicts by Calendly.

I hope this helps!