Skip to main content
Question

Scheduling settings - how to customize availability for invitees?

• 23 February 2024
  • 3 replies

I have been using the same Event Type to send to multiple clients, editing the date range for when I am looking for them to book. Clients are coming back to me saying that the scheduling window that I am looking for them to book during is not open to them. What I realize now is that the link in the email I have sent will always use the latest date range that I have saved. Oops.

What is the best way to deal with this situation? All the basic parameters of the meeting will be the same but the meeting window will change. Do I just keep cloning the meeting with different date ranges?  

Hey there @Craig18346 - great questions! Firstly, check out our New User Guide - it’ll def prove helpful as you get used to the platform!

We actually have a couple of options that function in exactly the way you were hoping your first attempt would! Yay! I love delivering good news. ;) 

The first option I’d recommend, personally, is our Customize Once and Share feature. 

If you want to make adjustments to your event types when getting a Calendly link, you can make some immediate changes from the sharing page. This lets you customize events for a specific invitee without needing to make an entirely new event type. (Below, click “show content” to see more about how this feature works! I wanted to save space and be less overwhelming in general - lol! The hyperlinked “Customize Once and Share” text above will go into even further detail.) 

NOTE: This feature is only available for one-on-one event types.

What you can customize

You are able to edit the following fields at the time of sharing:

• event name
  • event duration
  • event location
  • date range
  • weekly hours (your availability)
  • date specific hours (if needed)

How to customize your event when sharing

1. From your Calendly homepage, click the Share button for the event you want to use.
  2. Select Customize & share.
    Calendly Customize Once and Share.png
  3. From the next screen, make the necessary edits.
    share2.gif
  4. Click Share link.
  5. You will be returned to the sharing page. Here you can either copy the link for sharing, or add times to an email. You can also preview your availability here to see your changes in real time!

Add times to email - customize once and share.gif

If you have any Calendly workflows connected to the original event type, those workflows will still be triggered with the customized version. Plus, if you change the title of the event, the workflow will automatically update for the new version!

The next option you should look into is our One-Off Meeting feature. 

One-off Meetings offer a quick and flexible way to host a one-time meeting that doesn't match your regular event type configurations. When you set up a One-off Meeting, you can use key event type settings like location, hosts, timing, and more.

This type of meeting is useful when you need to:

• quickly schedule a non-standard meeting with one or more hosts

• offer your invitee times that fall outside of your regular availability

• give a meeting higher priority over your existing meetings.

Note

A one-off meeting's date range cannot exceed 3 months.

Just like above, click “show content” below to read more! (The hyperlinked “One-Off Meeting” text above will go into even further detail.) 

How to create a one-off meeting

1. From your Home page, select Create and then One-off Meeting.

one-offimage1.gif
  2. From the Choose the times you want to offer page set the duration of the meeting from the drop-down menu under Duration.

3. Choose which schedule you would like to use to define your availability for this meeting from the drop-down menu beneath your account name.
    • Note: If you are part of a multi-user Calendly organization, you can add one or more additional hosts (up to 9) that are a part of your organization by typing their name into the box under Hosts.

one-off-2.gif
  4. Select the time slots that you would like to offer for this meeting from the calendar. By default, a 7-day view will be selected when viewing your upcoming availability for this meeting.

Additional notes when choosing time slots:
    • When selecting a time slot that falls over a non-Calendly event you will see that it is overlapping but you can still select that time slot to offer for a high-priority meeting.

one-off-gif-3.gif

• When selecting a time slot that falls outside of your available hours, you will see that it is outside of your schedule but you can still select that time slot to offer for a high-priority meeting.

one-off-gif-4.gif

• If you want to quickly select all time slots (outside of any existing events) for a specific day, select Add all at the top of the day you wish to offer.

one-off-gif-5.gif

• If applicable, the One-Off meetings date picker will now reflect the buffer and event in one large block. For example, a 30 minute before buffer and 30 minute Calendly meeting will appear as an hour long block of time in the date picker.

How to customize a one-off meeting

Once you set the duration, add any additional hosts, and select the desired time slots, you can further customize the One-off Meeting from the Add your meeting details page.

1. From the Choose the times you want to offer page select Next.

2. Under Meeting name select the box to edit the name of this meeting.
    • Note: The name of this meeting will not appear in the title of the calendar event that is created for this event. E.g. if you name this meeting “Quick Chat” that name will not appear on the calendar event. What will appear on the calendar event is hInvitee Name] and tHost Name]. The meeting name will be shown in the body of the invitation.

3. Select the drop-down menu under Location to set the location of this meeting.

4. If you need to edit the language that your invitee will see, select the drop-down menu under Invitee language to choose a new language.

5. Select Details/agenda to add any additional information relevant to this meeting.

one-off-meeting-6.gif

Reserve times

To ensure that the time slots you selected remain available to book, on the Add your meeting details page, select the slider button next to Reserve Times.

image__15_.png

When enabled, Reserve Times will add placeholder events on your calendar and the calendars of any additional hosts to ensure that those time slots will not be filled before your invitee is able to book the One-off Meeting.

mceclip0.png

Once your invitee books the meeting, all of the placeholder events placed on your calendar will be cleared and the time slot that was booked will create an event on your calendar and will appear under the Upcoming section on your Scheduled Events page.

Note

The reserved times will be removed once the event is scheduled or the pending event is deleted. However the removal may take several minutes to process after the action is taken in the Calendly application.

If you need to clear these placeholder events prior to the invitee booking the meeting, follow these steps:

1. From your Home page, select Scheduled Events and then Pending.
  2. Select Details next to the One-off Meeting.
  3. Select Clear reserved times to remove the placeholder events associated with this meeting and then Clear reservations.

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 3.30.06 PM.png

How to share a one-off meeting link

1. From the Add your meeting details page select Publish meeting.

2. To make this meeting more personalized, select the box after the scheduling URL and type to customize the last part of the scheduling link.

oneoffmeeting.gif

3. To confirm the time slots you chose for this meeting before sharing the link with your invitee select Preview Availability.

sharing-url-2.gif

4. To paste the time slots for this meeting directly into an email, select Add times to email and then Copy to clipboard. Once copied, you can paste those times into an email and your invitee will be able to book directly from there.

5. To simply copy the scheduling link for this meeting select Copy link.

Where to find a one-off meeting once it has been created

Once you create a One-off Meeting and share the scheduling link with your invitee, you can find the event under the Pending section on your Scheduled events page.

pending-tab.png

As soon as your invitee books the meeting, the event will move from the Pending section to the Upcoming section.

I hope this helps!

Thank you for the quick response. It seems like the Customize Once and Share feature should resolve my issue. 

@Craig18346 so good to hear! I hope you have a great day. Let us know if you need anything else!