Skip to main content

Hi everyone!

I have two events set up on Calendly: one for the initial discovery call, and the second where you can book me as a coach and make payment at the same time.

My question is, how can I make these two calendars "talk" to each other? Since I’m just one person, I want to make sure there are no double bookings and everything stays organized.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! 🙏

Thank you in advance!

Warmly, Maria

Hi @Maria58726,

Hmm. Good question! Fortunately Calendly will automatically prevent you from getting double booked as long as the time shows as unavailable in your calendar.

I think the way I’d approach this is having your initial discovery call pretty easily discoverable, but hiding your coaching event type for qualified customers. You could either send out the link in a follow up email or workflow or perhaps put it somewhere on your site only accessible by approved customers.

Hope that helps!

Oh that´s great! 
And the costumers can see both calendars at the same time. 

So this is good! 

Got my two first appointments 🙂 Happy about that :)

Follow up to this:  I have 2 schedules - 1 for a 30 minute call and then one for a 3 hour call.  It seems I can book a day  - for example 9am to 5pm on the 30th on the 3 hour call schedule and it is not showing up as unavailable on the 30 minute call schedule.  So it seems like I can actually get double booked.  How do I fix this without manually having to toggle between the two calendars and set availability as unavailable? I thought it did that automatically? 

Hi @dentalbosslady,

First off, love the username. I have so many questions. Ha!

As for your question, when you say ‘schedules’ do you mean schedules within Calendly or schedules as in calendars?

Calendly is able to sync and check up to 6 calendars but will only schedule on one calendar. So if one calendar is the 3 hour block calendar and another calendar is the 30 minute calendar, events scheduled on the 3 hour calendar wouldn’t show on the 30 minute calendar. Does that make sense? Most people find it helpful to have a top-level calendar to ensure they can see all their availability at once.

Let me know if this help. If not, we’ll figure it out!

Thank you for the quick response! 

I mean my availability schedules just within Calendly.   nothing to do with actual booked events or my connected calendars - just the actual available hours.  

I would think that if I showed available 9-5 on my 3 hour availability schedule on Calendly then that time slot (on calendly) would show unavailable for my 30 minute.   But it does not.  

How do you create a top level calendar showing all your availability on 1 calendar instead of separate for the different events? 

Thank you - I mean schedules in Calendly.  This has nothing to do with events, booked events or my synced outside calendars.  

I have 2 calendars in Calendly set up for availability.  I add my availability day by day.  1 calendar is for 1 event - the 30 minute call.  The other calendar is for 1 event - the 3 hour call.  When I block off availability in the 3 hour call calendly calendar from 9am to 12pm, it is not showing as unavailable in the 30 minute call calendly calendar.  I can still open availability in that calendar from 9am-12pm.  

Do I have to cross reference and add unavailable time manually?  I thought it did it automatically.  

Hi @dentalbosslady!

Got it. Would you mind giving the Troubleshooting Availability Tool a try for me and let me know what it says? There could be a whole host of reasons you’re not seeing the right availability/unavailability and this will help us narrow down exactly what is going on. All the info you need on the tool is here: https://help.calendly.com/hc/en-us/articles/223145627-Using-Calendly-s-Troubleshoot-Tool

Thank you - maybe this loom explains it better.  Should the different availability calendars automatically update and cross reference eachother?  

Thank you for sharing that Loom, @dentalbosslady! Definitely helps me understand exactly what you’re looking to do.

Alright, so let’s dig in.

The area of Calendly you’re showing is your availability (which can be controlled either here or in the event directly). This part of Calendly controls the times people can book with you. When you see a date with specific times on, you’re seeing a date override. Having a date override does not remove that time from another event type - it just limits the availability of the event it’s applied to. So for example, I have one event type here at Calendly specifically for my peers and they can book almost all my working hours. I’ve got another for LinkedIn Networking that is far more restricted (Tuesday-Thursday, 10am-4pm, max 1x day). These are both controlled by their respective schedules, but their availability has no impact on other events since schedules are event specific.

Once someone books in either of your events (30 minutes or 3 hours), it will remove the relevant time from being available across all your events.

If you do want availability in one event to not be available in another event, you’ll need to update your availability on each respective schedule to reflect that. So for example, if you can do kickoff calls every M/W/F and are open to 30 minute calls on Tu/Th, you’d have to set your schedule to reflect that.

Does that help at all? I know it’s confusing, especially since there is a ton of Calendly specific terminology in the mix. If it makes you feel any better, we’re totally lost in dental lingo when at the dentist. 😅