Skip to main content
Question

How to capture Booked payments event to GA4?

• 24 July 2024
  • 2 replies

I need help!

The GA4 measurement ID was integrated to Calendly - based on this https://help.calendly.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001575393-Calendly-Google-Analytics#calendly-google-analytics-0-0

Scenario of booking: after the details are filled-in, there is the price included. Then payment details will be entered, then user will click the “Schedule Event” button.

If this is the event for the successful booking “invitee_meeting_scheduled”, what is the event looked like in GA4 for the successful booking with payment? 

Will the purchase event automatically be captured in GA4 for the successfully booked with payment?

I need your insights. Thank you!

​​​​​

2 replies

Userlevel 6

Hi @Anne02440!

I asked one of my more knowledgeable about GA4 peers for some advice, so bear with me paraphrasing what he told me. Can definitely go back to him with more questions if this doesn’t help!

Calendly’s payment integrations with Stripe and PayPal allow us to apply a payment portal onto the scheduling page. That portal takes payment or opens a new window to accept the payment. Calendly is not tracking this payment data, however an event must go through the payment portal in order to be booked. So if there is an event in GA4 under invitee_meeting_scheduled then it had to input billing information into that portal and a charge would have occurred. From this point, it is possible there was an issue with that transaction failing to be received, but this information is specific to the payment app so we have no way of confirming this. Because we are not tracking the success of payments taken, and assume any event that was booked was able to successfully send payment, we do not have any additional UTMs or trackers with our integration to add a label such as "payment accepted".

As a workaround, my peer suggested adding a UTM or label to a website where their events are embedded. It would need to be applied to only an event type or event types that have purchase settings applied. So if you were embedding your entire scheduling page to a website, with free and paid events, that UTM is going to attribute all of those events with the same paid label. This would require a specific URL for each event type with a payment option. If that’s a viable option, they said they’ll look into it more for you!

Another workaround they suggested was using Zapier to send data to GA4 when a specific Calendly event is booked. So if a paid event has the title "Calendly Paid Event" you could create a Zap to add a label or attribute to any GA4 events when an invitee schedules an event that has a name that equals "Calendly Paid Event". This would require a paid Zapier subscription since this zap would need more then 2 steps.

Hope this helps!

Hi Jillian,

Thank you for your response.  invitee_meeting_scheduled event has been reflected to GA4 and confirmed that no event related to payment appears. This event invitee_meeting_scheduled reflected when “Schedule Event” button is clicked (with payment details already).

In terms of adding UTMs, in this case should we add UTM parameters on the "Schedule Event" button? Could you please let me know where to add this UTM parameters? 

I’m happy to know what other option the team would recommend to track successful payment for paid booking. Thank you!